In today’s world, every organization processes data using information and communication technologies (ICT) to a greater or lesser extent. This means that they are exposed to the threats specific to cyberspace, particularly in today’s “remote working” reality.
Chief Information Security Officer
Therefore, organizations need a function to fulfil the role of a CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) with specialised technical, leadership and management skills necessary to ensure a comprehensive approach to cybersecurity. CISO plays a supporting role in detecting threats, prevents their materialisation and mitigates their consequences, all the while keeping an eye on the organization’s mission.
Unfortunately, not all organizations can afford the luxury of having a person or team dedicated to the CISO role, both due to the related cost and the difficulty finding people with the right qualifications. In smaller organizations, CISO duties are often shared between several individuals or added to the many obligations already shouldered by the IT “guy” or team.
One alternative to an internal CISO role is a virtual security officer (the so-called vCISO), which is a service involving a comprehensive cybersecurity outsourcing solution enabling small and mid-sized enterprises to avail themselves of high-quality experts representing various areas of expertise at an attractive price. For larger organizations, vCISO may be a convenient way to broaden the skills already available within their security or IT teams and bridge any potential skills gaps.
Who is VIRTUAL CISO?
vCISO offers unbiased insight to improve the organization’s security status, works together with the business to fine tune strategic goals and to ensure an adequate level of security with operational units, at the same time keeping costs down and providing access to experts representing various areas of expertise related to information security.
This is an expert function, outside of the internal organizational structures, which significantly helps in identifying risks and/or loopholes in security systems, as well as providing support in choosing the best and most suited security options the market has to offer.
- Knowledge: A cybersecurity expert at a price representing 30-40% of the cost of employing an internal CISO (no employment-related costs, bonuses or perks; no costs of training or certification).
- Availability: a flexible function which can support a number of locations or different parts of the organization as needed, and in the case of security incidents is able to respond immediately and commensurably (not having any other tasks within the organization).
- Skill: vCISO is supported by a team of experts representing a very wide skill set (including technical skills) related to cybersecurity, and that is why vCISO will never be left alone with a problem, and is able to provide a comprehensive advisory service.
- Impartiality: this is an expert function, outside of the internal organizational structures, which significantly helps in identifying risks and/or loopholes in security systems, as well as providing support in choosing the best and most suited security options the market has to offer.
- External support: being situated outside of the organization’s structures enables vCISO to work together with top management, so that the security system in the organization can be consistent with both security and business goals.
vCISO offers the benefits of an internal security leader, bringing to the table a broad skill set, flexibility, impartiality as well as cost efficiencies.
Get in touch